Chapter 4 (Part 2)

I'm sorry for the late update. I was dumb and took two temporary job at the same time and you guys should pay a price for that lol. Since I'm almost done with stuff, I think I can update more regularly but not as quick as before. Man, life sure are tough, huh. 

That's all about the personal rant and apology, enjoy the second part!


Trigger warning: violence attempt

*****

Soon after I contacted her, Sae-chan spared her time for me and we met up at the family restaurant we’re currently working at. Talking about something like this would be awkward if we do it inside, so we walked to the nearby park.

Sae-chan wears a red blouse and it’s rare for her to pair them with pants. I also took a glance at her decorative plant series keychain that dangled from her bag. Normally, I would talk to her but it can’t be helped that I feel nervous since earlier that I can’t utter any single word.

“....”
“....”

We finally arrived at the park when the sky was already dark. We faced each other under the street lamp, and finally I should settle this for once.

The wind feels cold since we’re entering October, I really need those mufflers the next time I go out. My body shivered a bit due to the cold wind and this situation.

“...Marika-chan.”
“Yeah.”

It’s the first time for us to meet outside our part-time job. I never thought my first experience with her will be something like this.

I feel like she’s trying to guess something by staring intently at my face. Well, that’s a given since the one you confessed to, is having a cloudy face at the moment.

I took a deep breath, yeah I can do this.


“I’m sorry for calling you out so suddenly.”
“Don’t mind it.”
“Listen, Sae-chan.”
“...Yes.”

The longer I keep this status quo, the weight I feel in my shoulders are getting heavier. The willpower I had since earlier is getting smaller when the coldness from the air around me is slowly seeping through my skin. Uh...how frustrating…

Even though I already understand what I should say to her, my mouth won’t move.

Aah, geez, I wish these hesitances from earlier just quickly go away and vanish!

Just be brave and finish this in one blow….

Yup,  let’s say it, let’s…

“Sorry!”

I said it out loud while putting my hand together.

“I already have someone I’m going out with!”

I said it!

I really said it!


I shut my eyes while waiting for her response.

And then Sae-chan slowly nodded her head.


“Well, that’s true.”

…….Huh?


Her response is very different from the one I had in my mind...I thought she might cry or choose to not say anything, but I never thought of this one.

She’s staring somewhere with her distant gaze. Her usual elegance is gone somewhere, that she looks like a ghost right now.

Even though it’s also possible that her appearance right now is affected by the light above us.

She slowly moved her lips and said her next response.

“Actually, I already know.”

W-what a twist.

So that’s the reason for her lack of response.

“Eh, but why...?”
“...”

Sae-chan didn’t answer. Eh, why!

Even though I never told her. Now it's my turn to get shaken by this situation.

“Ah, but!”

I understand that I really don’t need to spell this out, but I choose to put my hand together again while opening my mouth.

“The one I’m going out with is...a girl!”

I just don’t want to make Sae-chan thinks that I denied her idea of liking the same sex…

...I might be thinking about this too deeply.

But I still want to make sure.


“Ah, yup.”

Huh, so you also know about that one!


Sae-chan smoothly said it, that I can’t feel any emotion from her words.


“It’s that beauty who always came, right? That Afternoon Lady. I always wonder if you and her are in that kind of relationship.”
“Eh, w-wait, wait a minute.”

I stretch my arms to make her stop.

“You already know that much and you still asked me out?”
“Yes.”

Sae-chan smiled like usual.

Ain’t that pretty weird, though?

I’m good at reading my surroundings, but this time I’m completely lost on what her intention is.

Sae-chan kept her smile plastered on her face while looking at me.

“Will you go out with me, Marika-chan?”

What should I do, she started to scaring me.

I really have no idea about her true personality. I only know that she’s older than me, and she attends the school nearby with that elegant appearance of her. That’s all.


I always thought that getting to know people on the surface and have fun together is the best way to spend my days, that’s why I’d never try to know about her past under the surface. 

“Nah, um, I already told you that I have someone…”

Sae-chan slowly walked closer to my direction. I tried to take a step back but her movement is faster than mine.

“I will treat you well ,Marika-chan.”

My entire vision was quickly filled with her face.

While smiling sheepishly, just like a devil she slowly licked her lips.

“...You saw it, right? I have bigger breasts than her, right?”
“Hiiee.”
“Do you want to make sure...and touch it again? 

She caught my hand and rested it on her chest.

Huh, this soft sensation!

At this point I finally understand!


She tried to forcefully steal me from my current partner!


But, I thought stuff like this should be done more smoothly right!? Is this something that can be done so straightforwardly!? On top of that she really tried to seduce me using her body!?

Just like Karen-san said, she’s not pure at all. So this is what she meant!

While keeping my hand on her chest, she slowly brings her mouth closer to my ear.

She blew on my ears, h-how shameless!

“I can please you better than her...I will do anything for you. Just tell me and I will make it happen...I will spoil you to your heart content, even beyond that…”

Hawawawa…

What on earth is happening...why would I touch someone’s breast in the middle of the public park, at night on top of that.

“N-no, that’s not the—”

I tried to escape but then she forcefully grabbed my wrist.

“Hey, am I really not good? Just say yes already. Or should I become your second? I’m okay with that. I will gladly do that. You can use me whenever you want and just toss me aside when you no longer need me.”
“No, no no, nope! I’m not okay with that! I’m not skillful enough to do something like that anyway!”
“Even though I went this far, you won’t accept me…?”

Tears are slowly welling up on her eyes.

Good grief, what’s wrong with this girl...does she really like me that much...?

Am I really having that certain weird pheromone or whatever that seduces other women? Is it because I often use aroma? Is it the aroma’s fault?

I’m starting to get too flustered and accidentally say what’s on my mind in a loud voice.


“I said that it’s not okay, Sae-chan! You can’t do this for the sake of getting over your broken heart!”
“..................Eh?”

Her movements are completely stopped.

What came out of my mouth is the results of my conversation with Karen-san before, about Sae-chan’s problems and trauma.

“Broken heart…”
“That’s why you chose me, right!? But this kind of method is wrong!”
“..........Marika-chan.”

Everything was supposed to be based on our wild speculation only, but after hearing what I said, Sae-chan looked upset.


Aah, as I thought. Karen-san was right.

She was deeply hurted before, and that’s why she wants to use me to forget her painful past…

If that’s really the case, it means I should set this straight.

“You weren’t able to get together with the one you really loved, and that’s why you set your sight on me, right? Byt that kind of method is not good...it will only hurt you in the long run!”
“...”

That’s the first time I saw her eyes fill with pain.

“Hey, I can’t be the one for you, but I’ll gladly listen to your problems...I do understand that I might not be too useful though…”

I know that compared to Karen-san I’m still nothing.

Even so, I want to be her strength.

That’s why, I asked her directly.

“Hey, we are friends...right?”
“............”

She looks a bit downhearted while letting out a huge sigh.

“It’s something from a long time ago.”
“...Yeah.”

Her black hair swayed around by the wind, her eyes hidden by her bangs.

“That person, that person always does whatever they want. Getting loved by everyone, receiving everyone’s affection...They won’t even look at me…”

Her way of speaking reminded me of a witch who’s casting her curse.

“Even though I did my best...no one would look at me, because of that person...”

I feel a pain in my chest.

“Sae-chan…”


When I want to move closer to get a better look on her face, suddenly.

Sae-chan raised her head with glimmering eyes.

Eh!?


“It’s always about that person! They always get everything they want! That woman! What part of her is so good, I don’t understand what everyone thinks!”

She forcefully grabbed my shoulders. She’s so strong, it hurts!

“Hey, just date me already Marika-chan! This time, I’ll make sure to let her know how it feels when your lover gets stolen by another person! Hey, just sleep with me already, rather, just let me do everything to your body. I’ll do anything you want, whatever kind of play, I’ll do it for you! As long as I can make her look at me, I’ll do anything!”
“W-w-wait, wait! Time out, time out!!!”


Did she just say “Let her know how it feels when your lover gets stolen by another person”?

Eh, no, impossible.

Since I’m currently dating Aya, it means…

“Sae-chan, you know Aya!?”
“A, ya….Aya……………..”

Her atmosphere changed in just seconds, her voice echoed slowly.

“Fu, fufufufu...hehehe….!”

The heck with that laugh. Scary....

“Of course, as if I could forget that woman, Fuwa...the one who took everything from me and made my life into hell...that Fuwa Aya!”

Her face turned scary, she formed her lips into a laugh.

“Broken heart!? What was that, Marika-chan! This is a grudge! To say that this is love, how disgusting!”

Her voice slowly got stronger as she said all of that.

“Thanks to her I got a red mark for my behavior which drove me to fail my high-school exam! My friends left me, also, papa, mama, they ended up only paying attention to my little sister! Everyone left me! She’s the main reason my life fell apart!”

Her feelings are too strong, which kind of resembled something like love. I heard something like that once.

“Even though he was my first boyfriend! I was very happy when he said he’s in love with me. I was kind of riding with the flow and somehow we ended up dating, but everything was fun! But everything changed and became like that! Because of her! Fuwa, Fuwa! She tricked him like that!”

I can roughly guess while listening to her yappering.

If this is a puzzle, well I had enough of puzzles, but right now I feel like I already collected all the necessary pieces to come to a conclusion.

C-could it be…

“You are...Aya’s upperclassman from Tennis Club?”
“!”

Sae-chan’s eyes look glimmering for a moment and lose its shine again like a broken machine. Hiee. 

“She, did she say something about me!? Of course, right!? Thanks to her my life is completely ruined after all! And of course since I ruined her life she won’t forget me, right!? We are like two sides of the same coin, of course she said something! Hey, what did she tell you!? Is it hatred!? She won’t forgive me!? Or could it be that she put my pictures on her wall and was mocking me every night before she sleeps!?”

U, uhhh….

I averted my gaze since it’s kinda hard to tell her the truth.

“She never told me directly…”

Sae-chan looked dumbfounded and opened her eyes widely.


“Eh………………………………….?”


Sae-chan pulled her hands from my shoulders while looking depressed.

I only heard about Aya’s upperclassman from Chisaki after all.

That story when the upperclassman intruded the class to attack Aya with a scissor, and the main reason why Aya ended up being a loner during her middle-school days. 

Aya never told me about that. Aya already got over those days and forgot what happened in the past. She enjoys the time we have now.

That’s why you don’t have to think about it...meh. As if I couuld say it to her!

You can do it, Marika! You can fight this bizarre situation!


“Ah, but, y’see...ummm, that ex-boyfriend? Even though he dated you he was still looking at other girls? That was a bit much, I think…..”
“....Marika-chan.”
“H-hey, that was, cheating, right? He didn’t treasure you enough! Even though you are this beautiful! Boys are really helpless, huh!”

I tried to escape through this gap. But Sae-chan, like she’s engulfed by darkness, spouted something unbelievable.


“As if I cared about that guy!”


Eeeeeh!? But he was the main problem right!?

“Because, no matter how hard I struggle, as long as I’m born at the same time as Fuwa, I’ll never be able to live my life peacefully! That woman who lives for the sake of living! As long as she lives, no one will accept me!”

Guh.

Considering how I always compare myself with Aya as of late, her words stabbed me at the right places.

Everything didn't go the way she wanted, and her first boyfriend ended up liking Aya...that was, well I can understand where that distorted view came from.

But still, Aya only did her best to live. She looks up ahead to chase after her happiness. It’s as simple as that.

Maybe that’s why, she’s too dazzling for most people.

“Uh, listen. That’s all happened in the past...and it’s not good if you keep strained by your past like that...isn’t it better to leave everything in the past and move on…?”

I do realize that my consolation words have no weight. It’s just empty words.

Of course it won't reach her.

“....Unforgivable…”

Huh, somehow her voice filled with disturbing emotions….


“Even though I never forget her, not even a second all these time, she casually got a cute girlfriend like Marika-chan and enjoyed her life as normies….that’s, that’s unforgivable....because, that’s unfair! Uuuuuuuu…..”

Sae-chan picked something up from inside her bag.

It’s something that shines for seconds under the dim light due to its sharpness...a scissors.

Something shiny to fight Aya’s radiance…!?

Wait, that’s not important. Why does she direct it at me!?


“Wait! Wait, wait a moment! I’m not related to your problem though!?”

I slowly put some distances between us.

“Fufu, fufufufufu, Fuwa, that damned Fuwa...I won’t forgive you, unforgivable…”

Sae-chan, no, Sae walks while bringing her scissors toward me while limply moving like a zombie.

This is just a reenact of what happened during their middle-school years!

This is seriously scary. I can’t escape due to my trembling legs.

Aah, I can't look scared at times like this!

I should watch a lot of horrors to train my heart if I know things will end up like this!

“Listen, let’s talk about this calmly! It’s not good if you keep doing things like this! Also, you might get fired if you stab me right now! Since you already graduated from being a trainee, that’s a waste, right!?”
“Whatever. I only started doing that part-time job so I can get closer with Fuwa’s lover of course I don’t care! Why should Iー”
“ーHaa!?”

In response to Sae’s answer, I raised my voice. She just stepped on a landmine.

“Of course it’s not a ‘whatever’! Well, it might be something trivial for you but not for me! I seriously put a lot of effort in this, you know!? Don’t say it lightly like that!”

I accidentally lash out my anger at her.

I understand that it’s not good to pour oil on that flame, but I can’t stay calm if she also rejects the times we spend together working until now.

Sae-chan finched for a moment and bit her lips.

“T-then, just date me already! Ditch that Fuwa and choose me instead! This time, I’ll show that I can snatch her girlfriend! And I will beat her this time! For the sake of surpassing her, and to show that I’m not a failure!


Aaaaah, geez.


“Just, stop blaming Aya! You do your work earnestly up until now, you are not a failure! In the first place, you are a failure because of your own thoughts!”

If she keeps saying that she’s a failure, what about me. The me who already got on her high horse because of the manager's empty praise!

The fire inside my chest has ablaze, I no longer can stop my mouth.

“Imagine being shackled by something that happened two years ago, on top of that, instead of confronting the real person you choose to pick on their girlfriend, that’s totally lame! As if I will accept a confession from someone like that! Let me say this, I was seriously considering your feelings since you sounded sincere back then, and I was happy! But you, to be something like this, I feel like you make a fool out of me! Don’t you dare treat someone like that! 

I ended up saying everything on my mind.

Hearing my careless complaints, of course Sae-chan won’t stay silent.

“U, uu…! Stop being so annoying!”

Huh, so she can’t say anything back in the end. Sae put out her scissors again.

Uwaa, this is really bad.


“T-this is plainly impossible! I’m against violence!”
“I was, I just...want to be happy!”
“That has nothing to do with stabbing me right!?”
“This time, I’ll make sure that she'll loathe me for the rest of her life! Right!? She won’t forget me for the rest of her life if I do this!”
“I don’t get you at all!”

I reached the edge of the park and was trapped by the fence behind me.

While still holding her scissors, she walked towards my direction.

Is this the end!?

This must be a joke. I can’t accept this.

For a moment, my funeral scene flashed inside my head.

I saw Asta standing beside my coffin and saying, “I already told you, Marie!” while crying. No, I don’t want this!

I have a fantastic future waiting ahead! That’s why!


“This can’t be! This just, can’t be happeningー!!!”


My voice echoed through the night.

And right after that.

“Safe word”

A pair of hands suddenly came between us and grabbed Sae’s arms.

Eh?

Everything moved swiftly. It’s like she came out of a shadow since she already stood right beside me.

Her flashy hair swayed by the wind, her sudden appearance reminding me of those allies of justice.

It’s Aya.


“A, Aya!?”
“Fuwa!?”

She grabbed Sae’s arms tightly.



Aya’s eyes look dangerous when she stares angrily at Sae. I never saw her like this before.

“Now come to think of it, I felt familiar when I saw you at the shop. So it’s Enomoto-senpai, huh.”
“Your ability to remember people’s faces are too extreme! She always wore a nameplate on her chest, you know!?”
“Don’t care, your chest is the only one I’m paying attention to.”

Aya sealed Sae’s movement in a single move and restrained both of Sae’s hands behind her body. In her next move, she swiftly swung Sae’s body and placed her on the ground.

“Ouch!”

Aya also quickly kicked the scissors that fell off Sae's hand.

A-amazing!

It’s my first time to see her martial arts...she’s cool…


“A, Aya...Aya…”

When I started to calm down, everything came back at once and tears were flowing down. I rest my body and hug her.

“Thank you for saving me...uwaaa, that was scary...I love you……”

Aya tried to calm me down while stroking my back.

“You looked a bit off during classes, and then Karen-san told me as a countermeasure, that you might get involved with some dangerous women. I planned to just go home silently if nothing happened.”

Aya breathed a sigh of relief knowing she made the right choice.

Waaa, I should really thank Karen-san, she really saved me...I should buy a lot of cocktails the next time I visit the store…

Wait, if she’s already here since earlier it would be great if she appeared before things escalated!


“I thought you guys were fooling around by playing pretend.”
“We won’t do something like that!”
“The safe word is really useful this time.”
“Now I’m kinda relieved that we agreed on it!”

Who ever thought that that safe word is the one who saved my life.

I’m getting calmer somehow, but Aya who’s standing beside me said something opposite.

“Let me say this, you quite irritated me, okay?.”
“Eh!?”

Since she said it while stroking my head I can’t hide my surprise. 

B-but why? D-did she figure out that I touched Sae’s boobs!? That doesn’t count as cheating, though!

But it seems like I was wrong.

“If you picked me instead of Karen-san to consult your problems, it won’t become something horrifying like this.”
“T-that’s...I have my own reasons…”

What’s reflected in Aya’s eyes is my downhearted expression.

“You don’t believe me?”

Crap, crap, crap. I’m really cornered. I feel more nervous than when Sae almost stabs me with her scissors.

That’s not it! That’s not the reason, Aya. Because, if I asked you about something like this, it would make me look...uncool...after all…!

“For now let’s put your punishment aside. I’m glad that you’re safe.”

Hearing her soothing voice, I was only able to reply to her with a small voice, “Yeah.”

I’m sorry to make you worried.

On the other hand, Sae slowly gets up from the ground while pushing her hip. She...is currently glaring at me who’s wrapped inside Aya’s arms.

“The heck with you guys, why are you flirting at times like this…! Uuuh, so you’re finally come, Fuwa...and you trampled on me again!”
“Who cares.”

Aya looked at her while replied to her in a brusque manner.

“I only fulfilled my promise to protect Marika,”

Like covering me, she walked and stood right in front of me.

“If you dare to lay your hand on her, I’ll kill you.”

Her cold tone sounds serious. Hiee….

Not even Sae can keep her composure and look terrified...but she still insists on facing Aya.

After brushing the sand off her body, she thrust her fist in Aya's direction.

“...B-bring it on!”

At that moment, tears flowed out from Sae’s eyes.

“Someone like you, I really hate you from the bottom of my heart….! Acting like you don’t care about anything even though you’re able to do everything with that high and mighty attitude! Everything, you took everything from me…! Is it that great, to be a prodigy!? Beauty, intelligence, you have everything, of course you never face any hardships in your life!”

Aya didn’t bother to answer, she only stared at Sae. Her face is emotionless, it’s like she’s staring at some pebble on the roadside.

Sae continued and pointed her finger at me.

“Even Marika-chan, she chose you over me! Am I wrong!?”
“...................”
“No matter how hard I try, I‘ll never be able to put even a scratch on you! I always, always hate you! It’s better if you die!”

I wonder if I’m calmer now since Aya is here. My impression on her had changed a bit. I admit that her intention to hurt someone is a bad thing. On top of that, she also did stalk and intended to snatch me from Aya. Really, what was she thinking. If it’s the usual me, I definitely wouldn’t involve myself with her.

But somewhere from the corner of my heart, I can’t completely loathe her.

...Because she reminded me of that time where I pushed myself as Aya’s rival.


So I accidentally let my mouth slip.

“...You’re wrong, Sae. Aya is putting in a lot of effort everyday. Of course she also has bad days. She was deeply hurt by what you did.”
“Why would you defend someone like her!?”

Well, since I’m her girlfriend…but that isn't my reason.

I want to solve the misunderstandings she had.

Also, I’m sure that Sae is…

“Marika-chan, you are from this side, right!? People who did their best without any outstanding talent, we areー”

Before she continues her words, I swiftly swing my palm, and land them on her cheek.

Slap

I didn’t intend to slap her that hard, but the sound is quite loud.


“Great, 99 left,” I heard Aya’s voice from behind like she’s imitating a gym trainer. As if I will do that. It’s a payback since she made me went through that horrifying experience.

“Hey, listen to me, Sae.”

Sae muffled her cries while her tears flowed down.

“Since it’s impossible for me to work at a lesbian bar at Shinjuku, I chose to did my best in a normal family restaurant! Having someone like her really put my common sense in disarray! These past three years have been a living hell, I always thought that everything is boring, and no matter how hard I try, I’ll never be able to beat Fuwa! From the corner of my head, I understand that Fuwa will definitely do better!”


It’s plausible that Sae has already visited that store a few times.

But Aya didn’t recognize her so it must be a shock for her.

Aya’s missing straps, those Benjamin Barok-kun, there must be a reason why Sae has the exact same thing.

She must have stealthily taken it while riding the train...is my deduction. Of course I don’t have the evidence, and Sae will never admit it.

….But that way of revenge, it won’t appease her suffering. That way of life, is simply miserable.


Aya picked up the scissors from the ground and looked at me, “Should I silence her?” 

Scary.


“W-wait, we still have something to talkー”
“There’s none.”
“Even though you don’t, I have.”

Aya grabbed my hand strongly. She brought her face close to mine, I unconsciously held my breath due to her sudden movement.

“This person almost attacked you. It would definitely become a great deal if I was late. Just hand her over to the police. Or should I just kill and bury her? If you choose that one, let’s escape together somewhere far away and live together.”
“I won’t! I have my mother and father, and what about school and my friends!?”
“Marika won’t throw everything away and pick me instead?”
“Wait, the scale! We are not talking about that right now!”

I forcefully put a stop to her sudden heavy question.

“I do understand that she’s a person you’ll never forgive…”
“I don’t really care about her though.”

She really looks like she doesn’t care since her face didn’t show any emotion. Sae gasped from behind when she heard Aya’s feelings. Let’s pretend we didn’t hear that.

“Enomoto-senpai’s train of thought has always been extreme since back then.”
“...Is it?”
“I knew her when I entered the Tennis Club in my middle-school.”

Aya slowly told me the story about her and Sae.



Aya just enrolled in her middle-school and she chose Tennis Club as her extracurricular activity. She didn’t have any specific reason, it’s just that she thought they would treat novice freshmen gently since it’s her first time.

And then she met Enomoto Sae.

Of course Aya is already a gorgeous one since middle-school and it stirs jealousy from her peers. At that time, the one who got along with her was Enomoto-senpai.

It’s unimaginable if I see the current Sae…

Since then, Sae was Aya's closest confidant. Aya had a good impression since Sae was always willing to lend her ears anytime and responded to her in a gentle manner. But later she probably figured out that her assumption was wrong.

“That me from before, she lived in a cramped world…everyone around me feels ephemeral and no one can understand me. That time, I thought the only one who can understand me is Fuwa Aya.”
“Shut up.”
“Ah, okay.”

Aya sharply shot her down.

These two probably crossed the boundary of senior-junior relationship and simply became friends.

One day, Sae consulted Aya since Sae had a boy that she was interested in. of course Aya gladly listened to her and she planned to support Sae from the sideline.

“Since Enomoto-senpai did things like that everything fell apart though.”
“That’s, because Fuwa…”
“I never seduced him, he’s the one who misunderstood and confessed. That stuff, can’t be happening.”

Aya borrowed my catchphrase and denied Sae’s accusation.

“You’ve always been like this since a long time ago. You always assume that everything in your head is the truth without considering the other probabilities. Even that one time when there was a rumour about our advisor doing sexual harassment, you didn’t bother to look for evidence and straightly went to confront them, using violence.”
“B-because! If it’s really the truth, that would be dangerous…!”
“If you’re the one who’s wrong, it also would be dangerous though. Everyone was troubled because of that.”
“But Fuwa, you were also like that! You wouldn’t say anything even though everyone misunderstood your true personality! You always look sullen so everyone was too scared to approach you! Even back then there were these freshmen who asked why you always look so angry!”
“I already changed from that past me. I’m friendlier now.”


Eh? It was sudden. I feel like I understand what she wanted to convey with those words. Aya grabbed my arms tightly.

“I have Marika after all, she’s here and willing to understand me”

It’s like she clearly spells out the differences between her and Sae.

I find that she’s beautiful with that determination.

Her words are brimming with love. At times like this, I thought that my ability to read the mood is for the sake of our relationship. Every part of her, either her clumsiness, or her social awkwardness, I feel like I can understand her better than most people.

Everything will be okay as long as she’s with me, huh. It sounds like a proposal.

But…

I’m happy to hear that, but!


“It’s still the same, Aya!”
“Marika?”
“Aya, you were determined to change yourself and you really make it happen. You really did your best for your own sake! You also started to get along with Chisaki and Yume, you also started to enjoy school since I said I like school. I really thought that everything you did was admirable, and you look very dashing! I like that part of you!”

I continued to speak it loud.

“You treat me like me being your most precious person was a natural thing to do, but still, I want you to treasure everything in your life other than me!”

What am I doing, I wonder. It’s like a childish rant.

“...What was that….”

I’m a bothersome girlfriend who troubled Aya, but I want to make it clear since she’s Aya.

“I know I sound selfish, but that’s because you can do everything well, right? That’s why I believe that the prodigy Aya can make it happen!”

I chose to take everything back from what I said before.

“In exchange, I’ll also do my best, that’s why...!”

That’s why.


“I’ll make a group chat for the three of us so we can message each other!”


“”Eh.””

Both Aya and Sae’s voice sound surprised in unison.

The heck is this girl saying...is what their faces are conveying.


I take advantage of their dumbfounded state, and quickly make a group chat for the three of us.

I sent a simple cute sticker [Take care of me] to start the conversation at the group chat.


“Wait.”

Aya’s face looks like was forced to swallow a very bitter pill while looking at me. 

“Why would you do something like that…” 

And then I swiftly answer her question.

“I want the two of you to deepen your understanding with each other.”
“It’s meaningless.”
“It’s not.”

I don’t have the leeway to keep this argument. I should succeed in pushing my ideas on her and convince her in one swoop.

“I got involved in your past unwillingly, so listen to me just this time.”
“That’s…”

She furrowed her eyebrows and then whispered, “It would be better if I finished her for good back then…” But well, it seems like she will do as I say this time.

On the other side, Sae looks like she just won one billion lottery when she looked at her phone’s screen.

“Fu, Fu, Fu, Fuwa Aya’s contact address….aaa, uuuuhh, her address....a real thing….I no longer have to save a pizza store’s number as her contact address...since I have the real thing…”
“Uhhhh, listen, Sae-chan!”
“Ah, yes.”

She kneels properly at the ground and straightens her back.

“The Aya inside your head is too unreal! She’s a girl who got lost in the middle of moving class and didn't have any idea what she should do since she won’t ask her classmates, you know!”

“Waー,” There’s a voice that tries to interrupt me from my side, but I don’t pay it any mind.

Sae shook her head furiously.

“That’s not my Fuwa! The Fuwa I know is someone who will arrive at other classrooms easily without needing any help from others! Since she arrived early she’ll spend her time looking outside the window and that scene is so breathtaking that her classmates can’t help but fall for her!”
“I understand where you came, but everything is just an illusion!”

Her imaginary Aya is a perfect beauty, but that’s why she’s only able to look at that version of Aya. It made her unable to understand Aya for her whole life, like a curse that can’t be dispelled. Even by Aya.

But that’s why, if it’s me, I think I can manage somehow.

“Ah, this might be a bit late, but never point your scissors to others, okay? What will you do if you hurt them? If you are pissed, use your mouth first, humanity invented words and language to communicate with each other! Of course that also includes you!”
“Y-yes I will!”

She frantically nodded her head.

“Also, don’t ever think to stop coming to work! If you do it, I’ll go straight to the police and file a report!”
“Y-yes……………”

After getting reprimanded, Sae looks timid but still elegant. Her high-class aura combined with her timidness might be just her actual character.

Before both of them manage to think this thoroughly, I hurriedly clap my hands.

“Now the most important thing, greeting. You are good at that right, Aya? Sae too, you did it numerous times while greeting our customers after all!”

Both Aya and Sae typed on their phone and sent a simple sticker. Both of them are using that decorative plant series sticker. When she looked at that, Sae looked happy somehow while Aya won’t even bother to hide her displeasure.

I folded my arms and stood between two of them with a firm expression.

“Listen, I won’t ask you guys to make up and become friends. There are people who are unable to get along with each other anyway. But as for you, to keep shackled by the same thing for three years is meaningless, okay?”

If they keep bottling up their past memories like this, one day those emotions will explode and lead to a new bigger problem. Let’s stop it before it’ll trouble lots of people.

In the end, the probability of those new bigger problems will be directed at me is too high since I’m Aya’s girlfriend!

That’s why, this is a death or life situation for me, I need to make this work.

“In the first place, you are preparing for an exam, right? Just use those energy for studying. In case you fail your exam you probably will misdirect those emotions to her, right?”

I’ll believe my own intuition rather than Karen-san’s this time.

Because I will never put myself in danger to befriend someone dangerous.

I’ll stop this exasperating misunderstanding before it's too late. They need to know about each other.

They need to communicate through greetings, self-introduction, or whatever. 

By doing this, I believe that they can smoothe their tattered relationship.

I’ll believe in that since Aya is my lover, and Sae is my dear friend.

...Let’s end this for today.

Everything that happened today was so exhausting, I don’t have any energy to spare.


“Well then, don’t you need to go home, Sae?”
“Y-yes.”
“Saturday in front of Shibuya’s Hachiko Statue. Ah, but since tomorrow we have shift together, see you tomorrow.”
“”Eh.””

Aya and Sae sound surprised in unison for the second time.

I don't have any hidden intention this time, so I have no idea why they look shaken by my words just now.

“So you still...willing to play with me, Marika-chan…?”
“Eh? That’s right. Since we’re friends and all. Ah, but of course if you no longer want to see my face we can reconsider it.”

Suddenly, a pair of hands are grabbing my hip forcefully. Uhyaa!?

“What are you thinking, Marika.”
“W-what? Why do you look so angry?”
“Even I will get angry if you behave like that. You were almost stabbed by Enomoto-senpai, so why would you hang out with her? That’s just weird.”
“Eh, she won’t do it again. Hey, you won’t, right?”
“I, I won’t…”

Looking at Sae who nods her head frantically, Aya let out a huge sigh. With a voice like she’s eating her most hated food, she opened her mouth.

“I got it. For now, I’ll ask Karen-san to prepare some stun-gun. I hope I can procure them before Saturday. Also, I’ll tag along.”

If I turn her down, “Eeeh, it’s okay. Aya is really a worrywart~,” I get a feeling that she’ll go on full violence so let’s just agree with her suggestion.

“Umm, thank you, Aya.”
“You’re welcome.”

Deep down I feel a bit threatened by a pouting Aya, but I proceed to raise my hands.

“Today’s meeting is done!”

My voice echoes through the night park.

Let’s just end this uproar before we caused any bigger disturbance.

“Ah, w-well then I’ll take my leave...I’m really sorry for today, Marika-chan...See you tomorrow…”
“Yup, see you tomorrow at work.”

Sae hurriedly left after taking pictures of Aya for unknown reasons.



Fuu, it's finally over.

“Haa, so tiring.”
“............”

After Aya threw away Sae’s scissors in the trash bin, she then walked and sat below me.
(TL Note: The raw only said she sat below me but I take it as Marika on the bench while Aya on the ground)

Huh, so it’s not over yet!?

Aya didn’t utter any single words since Sae left after all…

So she is angry...I admit that I did a lot of things according to my own discretion. 

But even though I understand, I won’t apologize.


She might think that I’m a meddlesome person...but it’s because I think this is the best thing to do for now. 

I can’t let Sae stay like that, before she gets worse. If things escalated more than this, Aya will also feel obligated and it’ll hurt her conscience. 

Because she’s a kind girl after all, she won’t abandon Sae that easily. If she’s that kind of person, she won't be able to get along with Chisaki and Yume that quickly after all.

Just for now, I hope Aya can endure this. Before it’s too late, before it becomes more painful.

...Even if you come to hate me, I beg you this once.


The cold wind blows hitting our bodies, I feel my body is getting chilly.

When my shoulders are trembling due to the cold weather, Aya gently pulls me into a hug.

“...Aya?”
“Hm.”

She planted a kiss in my lips, a light touch between us.

Uuhhh...what is this?

I’m looking at her face with an uneasy feeling inside my chest, and the Queen of Solitude in front of me is also having complicated expressions plastered on her face under the moonlight.

“Uh, listen, Marika.”
“O, okay…”
“I have three things I want you to listen to.”

I swallow my breath.

“Go ahead.”
“First.”

Aya bows her head down.

“Forgive me to get you involved in my personal problems.”
“Eh? No, that’s, not your fault.”

Wait, it is her fault if you look from another perspective!

“It’s true that I faced a dangerous situation, but I’m okay since you saved me. I might need to put some distances with scissors for a while, though!”
“Yes...and the second one,”
“Yes.”
“No matter who, whether it’s Karen-san, Asta, or whoever they are, I won’t forgive them if they lay their hands on you. You are my most precious person, so you should treasure yourself more.”
“O, okay. Is it about Saturday? I also need to apologize about that.”

Even though I said that it’s okay, Aya might regard me as a simply careless person without any sense of danger.

To make her worried again, of course I’ll feel sorry for her.

She scolds me because she loves me, she just wants to make sure that I won’t be too careless and put myself into a dangerous situation.

I want her and Sae to patch their relationship, even though it’s for Aya’s sake, it also came from my own selfishness.

This is what I want to do, it has nothing to do with Aya. That's why I can understand why she is angry at me. 

“And...the third is...?”

I’m already prepared for her wrath.

“Thank you.”
“.......Eh?”

Aya is, she just hugged me.

Her arms wrapped around my neck and pulled them into a tight hug.

“Eh, but, umm…”

I was taken aback since I understand that I don’t deserve those words. 

Looking at me, Aya let out a smile.

“Because. You did everything while thinking of me. It makes me happy.”
“B-but…”

Aya’s soothing voice came into my ears.

“You are kind, Marika. You really did your best for my sake, thank you.”
“Ah…….”

Her voice, is very gentle.

“Yeah.”

Good grief.

She’s too lenient with me.

She’s warm.

“.......I wonder if everything would be better if I did this back then.”
“Eh?”
“Nope, forget it.”

Aya slowly rubs and buries her head deeper onto my nape.

“I’m glad that you’re here. I’ll do my best so I can stand proudly beside you. I love you, Marika.”

Even though I acted based on my own self-interest, decided everything by my own, and roped her into them. I have no idea why she’s touched by my selfish action.

In the end, a situation where we did our best for our partner’s sake might be the right form to describe a relationship between girls.

“ーI said everything that I want to say.”

After she said that, she planted another gentle kiss.




On a side note, our Shibuya outing really turned into chaos. The two of them keep fighting each other and it's really tiresome. I slowly regret my decision.

But I believe that they already understand that this is just the beginning. 

There’s still a long way ahead that we can’t really see the goal, but we’ll keep walking ahead, step by step with our own pace.


*****


For more detailed info about the novel click here

Credit:
TL and everything else: Meatbun
Proofread: Hourai


<< Chapter 4 (Part 1) || A Bit Long Epilogue >>

Comments

  1. Thanks a lot for the update ^.^
    It's ok for the late update. I just happy you keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly, I thought the whole serious atmosphere of Marika and Sae when Sae's past situations with Aya finally got spoiled and she suddenly pulled up a damn scissor and pointed it out to Marika, chasing her to the corner while grabbing that scissor as the like of those psychopaths...was just a mere joke...until I saw Sae's eyes that she made at the pic...I can tell that she really was serious at that time...luckily Aya was there to save her GF


    also, life is indeed really hard and it's harder for me due to the realization that the world as a whole is not only about a rainbow, those happy stuffs but it's and has been filled with 'reality'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohhh its a sudden plot twist for me, didnt expect that!

    Anyway, Thank you so much for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you don't drop it, I'm good with waiting. Thanks for the translation and wish you a happy holiday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for continuing to translate.
    The truth was I hoped that the confession would not work but bringing the scissors was unexpected, I thought it would be a more "innocent" shuraba, that is, she was innocently pseudoting Marika. But the way she developed now Marika has more temptations to cheat on Aya, not that she will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. > On a side note, our Shibuya outing really turned into chaos.

    Weeeell… what did she expect? 🤣 Ofc it will turns chaotic.
    Honestly I would love to see Sae become more and more dere to Marika just to piss off Aya… that will be quite a scene, heh~🎶

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the update!!
    As long as you don't drop this story I'm totally fine with waiting for a long time (^^)

    Please take care of yourselves
    and wish you all happy holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas meatbun. Thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  9. meatbun, our god, please take care of yourself so we can keep worshipping you. xD just kidding (the god part), I wish you the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. your majesty when will you bless us your holy words and commandments? we wish you can lead us outside of our misery and give us the news of your victory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you soooooo much for the translations!!bless you!! Their shibuya outing unexpectedly kinda happened so quickly.
    Tho knew it!!sae is that senior from the past

    ReplyDelete
  12. nobodys gonna talk about the fact Marika is willing to forgive such a dangerous person so easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "animmmmmmmmmme"

      On one hand, I really don't like this trend in anime/manga/ln media to just forgive someone so easily. But I am also a fan of rehabilitation. Saw flipped out and didn't get better. I guess Marika is trying to get to the heart of the problem. As clumsy as it is.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Onna Doushi to ka Arienai deshou to Iiharu Onna no ko wo, Hyakunichi kan de Tetteiteki ni Otosu Yuri no Ohanashi

Prologue