Chapter 2-2

Hello everyone, I want to apologise in advance since the update between chapters might take longer because I'm getting too invested with catching up on every yuri manhwa/manhua I just discovered a bit busy these days. Thank you for your understanding!


***

“Let’s go to the public bath.”

Sumire who was previously watching television now had her eyes glued on me, who stood imposingly with a washbasin in my arms.

“The bath is broken.”

This morning the water heater seemed not working well, I tried to warm the bath but nothing happened. I called the landlord and they said the gas company will take a look at it, but there was a possibility that they would come tomorrow.

And so, they were really only available tomorrow.

“Yay! A hot spring.”
“I said public bath, right?”
“What’s the difference? Their taste?”
“Correct. Public bath’s water is more tasty than the hot spring. So you should drink it a lot later, since it’s delicious.”
“Then, I will let you drink them first, Matsuri.”

Sumire stared at me looking unamused.

I perfectly knew that Sumire was in high school, but seeing that petiteness and her dragging speech, I couldn’t shake off the feeling that I dealt with an elementary schooler.

“It’s getting easier to figure out your lies.”
“You also said something ridiculous like taste earlier, so we are even.”
“But that was interesting, no?”
“No.”

Once you consider a total nonsense joke as interesting, it probably was a sign that you lead an extremely peaceful life, it could lead to trouble.

I threw Sumire’s towel on her, but due to her small stature, the towel covered her whole body. She started squirming from under.

“By car?”
“Walking, it’s close by anyway.”

I did a quick browse and found a public bath around one kilometer from here. Considering this would also be my first time, walking might be a safer choice rather than a car.

The weather forecast said that today would snow, but when I saw the sky luckily it appeared to be clear. Still, feeling the cold wind brushing against my skin, it reminded me that we headed closer to the end of the year.

“Somehow it feels nice, walking together like this.”
“Is it?”
“It makes me wonder if this is how it feels to have a big sister. Ah, but Matsuri do look like a big sister, do you have younger siblings?”
“What will you do if I do have one?”
“Nothing much.”

Somehow she sounded sulky as she dropped the topic. Her pouty cheeks that looked like balloons were reddened by the freezing wind. Let’s buy her a scarf next time. 

“Nn?!”
“What’s wrong?”

A muffled voice echoed in the empty alley, it was a frenzy that came out from my mouth in this lonely street.

“Nothing.”

Let’s buy her a scarf…? What the heck did I mean with that question. Why did I want to show her my compassion.

I did my job. I sacrificed my time for doing it, I devoted all of myself. So, why should I use my hard-earned money to buy stuff for others like a good person.

…but well, whatever.

It wasn’t like that I especially pushed myself to do things. Instead, it felt alright when I thought that I turned into a good person without putting any effort. I didn’t overexert myself which meant that these were easy stuff.

Without noticing her fallen bath towel, Sumire flashed her usual smile. Seeing the towel that already gotten dirty, it sure would no longer be able to serve its purpose. Still, I didn’t bother to tell Sumire about the towel.

If you asked why, of course since things would be far more interesting this way. I sure was a kind person.


After some walk, it was correct to not bring the car since the public bath was placed inside a cramped alley. Seeing the area around that couldn’t really be considered as an ideal neighborhood, I started to envy big cities.

“Oh my, I thought no one would come today.”

Once I slid open the door, a lady in the receptionist desk greeted us. From the locker room, no silhouette could be seen inside the bath, it looked like we were the sole visitors for now.

Then this would be comfortable, I thought as I took off my coat.

Huh, there was no hanger.

So I folded my coat and put it inside the basket. My coat would wrinkle, but since we were in the public bath these kinds of things couldn’t be avoided.

Then I quickly took off my clothes, put them inside the basket and took my washbasin with me to the public bath area. My mental state was like a politician who was preparing to face a public wrath.

Public bath…public wrath…so funny I might finish my bath quickly.

(TL Note: this translation is localising the pun, but in the raw, Matsuri did the pun by comparing public bath (銭湯-sentou) with battle (戦闘-sentou) since two words are read in the same way but written with different kanji. Sometimes when the pun is bad people will say that their joke is so cold, which is the reason why Matsuri said that she could finish her bath quickly due to her interesting pun = not cold)

On the other hand, Sumire still took off her clothes slowly and carefully.

“I will head in first.”
“S-sure.”

Even though she was so excited earlier, right now she had become completely quiet. Her modest body seemed unchanged ever since the last time I saw her at the bathroom, after a single glance I entered the bath.

When I was washing my hair, I heard the door being opened. The water dropped from my hair strands and through my blurred vision I saw Sumire sat on her chair.

“It seems like my towel fell somewhere.”
“Aa, it did.”
“Eh, you know about it?”
“Earlier I wondered when you would realise, but honestly I ended up forgetting about it until you talk about it.”

Come to think of it, my eyebags had started to vanish, I thought while looking at the mirror and brushed my hair up.

“I completely didn’t notice…y-you could’ve told me!”
“I had no obligation to do that.”

Against Sumire who sat next to me, I pointed my shower on her face and she ended up almost toppling, but she somehow managed to keep her balance. She tightly shutted her legs and trembled.

“Ah! D-did you see?!”
“Ha? What?”
“Y-you know…”

Her mumbling was inaudible.

The red colour that smeared across her petite body was vividly visible due to her initially white skin as she embraced herself for her defence. Those reds clearly didn’t appear due to the heat inside this bath house, but something else.

“You don’t have to be that shy.”

Seeing Sumire’s bashful face, I secretly snickered at it and then took a dip first by myself. Waiting for others wasn’t my forte after all. That reminded me, during elementary school I realised I was alone only when I came to my senses. Later, someone who ended up becoming my friend told me, “You were too engrossed in your own world,” which I didn’t know whether that was intended as praise or out of spite even now.

Physically, my body felt an utmost pleasure due to the gentle sensation of hot water, but I had a turmoil inside my head.


Suddenly a group of aunties arrived at the bath house, they were loudly talking about a lot of stuff when they came inside.

The aunties swiftly took a shower while Sumire who was still covered by bubbles seemed surprised by their sudden appearance, her gaze started to dart around.

“You there, that seat is mine!”

I heard someone’s voice, but I chose to close my eyes and enjoy the warmth of the water.

After a while, Sumire finally came next to me. Her shoulders stuck on mine, it was cold.

Sumire dipped her body up until her nose, and then bubbles started to appear from the area around her mouth, she seemed displeased.

“This is a public space after all.”
Blub blub blub.”
“We don’t have any other choice.”
Blub blub blub.”

She wasn't convinced.

Apparently those aunties were regular here, and their shower spot had already been decided. Sumire sat on that spot which was why they confronted her.

“I hate that aunty.”

Hearing Sumire’s frank impression, I couldn’t hold back my laughter.

To be honest, it was tiring for me to interact with proper people, like smart, positive, or good people who’d never talk bad about others. I personally prefer people with slightly bad personalities. Those people felt much more human-like.

“You can simply punch others when they are being unpleasant.”
“Eh, are you a delinquent, Matsuri?”
“That’s not it. My point is, rather than getting hurt, it would be better if we hit those unpleasant people, no? For example, most of the time bullying can’t be solved by a simple conversation, which is why we should resort to violence when that time comes.”
“...but.”

With an anxious gaze, Sumire glanced at the aunties.

“Dad was taken by the police since he did that.”
“Ah, is that so? Excuse my words.”

Come to think of it, she had that kind of circumstances. We were the same in terms of a fatherless household, but with the extremely different circumstances, I couldn’t really grasp Sumire’s real thoughts on her circumstances.

“Which means, if Sumire punched people, Sumire would get taken to the prison.”
“Nah, they won’t though. You probably would only receive a strict warning.”
“Why?”
“Adults are forbidden from punching people, but children are okay.”

Perhaps she couldn’t comprehend my words clearly, so she started to stare at her fist silently.

“But Sumire is weak.”
“Just do some practice.”

I put some strength on my fist under water, and then threw a punch. The water splashed to the floor, so I did have some strength on me.

“You do it too, Sumire.”
“O-okay.”

Hump, hump, Sumire desperately jabbed both of her hands onto the water with a slight groan. The heck was that. It was a rocket punch, wasn’t it? Just as expected, nothing happened as the water surface remained unbothered except some minor splashes. 

“You should put in more power.”

Once I wholeheartedly punched the water, a huge splash formed like a fountain. Sumire sounded like she was in awe and then imitated my move.

Splat, splat.

Both me and Sumire kept doing the same moves for a while by hitting the water surface.

Since we fooled around like that, the aunties once again scolded us. But unlike before, this time Sumire seemed like she had fun with a smile plastered on her face.

This sure spelt trouble in some other way.

When I apologised to the aunties, I felt refreshed for some reason.


We finished our bath and changed clothes, then left the public bath. Once we were outside, snow started falling down.

“It’s the first snow.”

Looking excited, Sumire ran ahead of me.

It made me wonder since when did I lose enthusiasm over special moments like the first or last. Perhaps it started around the time when I no longer felt anything about my birthday.

“Ah, the towel.”

During our walk, Sumire found the lost towel. She dusted it off and then held it tightly inside her arms.

“I’m glad it’s still here.”
“Huh, no wonder.”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, most people won’t trouble themselves by bringing it to the police box or looking for the owner of some random towels they found on the street. That’s a natural thing to do. Sometimes, very rarely, an extremely kind person might do that though.”

Even if by any chance the one that fell was a wallet, things might be the same.

Some people might prefer to give up on their small amount of money rather than dealing with policemen. 

In other cases, people were afraid that if they picked up the random wallet with an intention to bring them to the police box, the owner could see them, misunderstood, and lead to a baseless stealing accusation which would harm the person with good intention.


“Is that so? Then, I’m glad no kind person found this towel.”
“Huuh?”

Looking happy, Sumire buried her face on the dirty towel. Such a waste considering we just finished our bath.

I was totally refreshed since I just cleaned myself in the bath, but seeing Sumire’s reaction also made me totally confused.

What did she mean by she was glad no kind person found that towel?

I couldn’t help but wonder about that. Amidst the falling snow, I chased after her small back who ran ahead of me.

“Let’s go again next time, Matsuri.”
“Just when the bath is broken, alright?”

In the end, this not-so-kind me couldn’t really find the answer.


***


Surely, I was someone who didn’t really have a strong inclination with events like Christmas, but from an outsider's perspective, apparently I seemed like one.

My shift today was only until the afternoon. Which means that I could hand over this unpleasant Santa hat to her once Shirakumo-san, who did the afternoon shift, arrived. Apparently the current trend in Santa Land was a mini-skirt costume, my legs were freezing and I couldn't do anything. My mind was filled with my desire to go home.

On top of that, the amount of customers today was greater than usual, which meant that the number of people who called my name asking for assistance also increased.

According to the vice-manager, it was due to my popularity, but this store wasn't that kind of store, right?


“Err, if you are looking for flowers for a special occasion, please take a look here.”

Due to this half-baked knowledge of mine, I did my best to close any chances of further conversation. If by any chance the customers asked about more complicated stuff like the flower language or which season it bloomed, I’d totally raise my hands in defeat

When I tried my best to handle the customers with vague answers, the person who made me wear this costume and the person who had authority over my shift appeared.

“Good work, Hanaseri-san. Those clothes suit you very much.”
“Could it be that I’m cute?”
“Why do you think that?”
“Since people keep staring at me ever since earlier.”
“It’s nice seeing you aware of that, poster girl-san. Most of our customers visit this shop to see you after all.”
“This is a flower shop, right?”
“What are you implying? You too, are a splendid flower yourself, aren’t you?”

Somehow she spelt it so refinedly.

Unknowingly, I had the same position with these flowers on display as this shop’s poster girl. If possible, I would be happy if they put a high price on me as a flower, but I still had the willingness to live my life as a human.

“In the first place, my attitude isn’t that lovely, is it?”
“I’m sure that quality of yours is one thing which boosted your popularity.”
“Which means most of our customers are perverts?”
“Anyway, how’s it going? Do you find anyone good?”

Ignoring the business hours, the vice manager started to talk off track.

Since I was in the middle of moving the flowers that were weak against snow from the outer area and a lot of other things, my bare legs felt so chilly.

“People who went out of their way to talk with someone like me were good people.”
“That’s not what I mean, someone attractive, maybe? You are single right now, aren’t you? You can do your work while also finding a date for tonight, you know?

Clink clink, from a far I could hear a familiar jingling sound as Christmas' sign.

“I don’t really interested.”
“Still, considering your looks surely there were a lot of people who asked you out, right? What happened to them?”
“I politely turned them down. Being in a relationship like lovers would only reduce my private time which would be a bother.”
“Nonetheless, it’s a good thing. Something like having someone to greet you when you come home.”
“Do you have someone like that as well, Miss?”
“...a long time ago.”
“Aah.”

Once I finished moving the flowers inside, I worked in the storage to tidy up the shelf.

When I heard a customer's voice calling for me, I wanted to hurriedly go back but the short skirt truly limited my movements

“Yes, I’m here!”

When I thought about how to overcome this, Tateyama-san covered for me as she served the customer. Still, both me and the vice-manager were anxious whether she could manage this, so we secretly observed her.

“Thank you for your patronage!”

Turned out that our worries were futile. Tateyama-san properly did her work and she started to clean up the leaves on the floor.

“What do you think about her?”

The vice-manager who stood next to me asked with a small voice. That pretty voice of hers distracted me for a moment, but I focused my gaze on Tateyama-san who did her best to clean up.

“I intended to ask her about her willingness to keep working here today.”
“Let’s see. If she no longer has the drive, she would ask you first, don’t you think?”

Nonetheless, even the said person committed to do their best, if they were deemed useless they would be discarded, such was society. Also, ‘working’ was a group activity, which was why weeding out the burden who hindered the work was a natural thing to do.


The question was whether Tateyama-san was truly a ‘weed’.

While we were still watching over her, Takahashi-san came and got angry at her over something.

But from my point of view, I didn’t see any fault that deserved a rebuttal.

――it was the same.

I saw the same thing before. Unreasonable anger and ridiculous demand close to oppression, disgrace, contempt. Takahashi-san did the same thing with those aunties in the public bath. Deep inside, Tateyama-san probably also wanted to blow bubbles on the water like what Sumire did.

Throwing a right straight punch while shouting, “You talk too much, shut up!” and making them lose consciousness would be an instant win. Sadly this method was out of question which means we had no chance of triumph.

I always consider people who stated that humans can’t live without others wasn’t phrasing it as positive encouragement. Instead, it was much closer to spiteful declaration.

If humans were a lone being, then none of meaningless conflicts would surface.

If so, what would be the correct answer, I wonder.

“...no good, I will go――”

Before the vice-manager finished her sentence, my body moved first.

“Excuse me, Takahashi-san.”

Takahashi-san showered me with a sharp gaze as I called her name from behind.

“What?”
“I think you will discourage her further if you keep being angry, and it will reflect badly on her performance. If you keep this up, she won’t be able to do her job well despite her capability.”

I tried my best to say it in the gentlest manner possible.

“Then it would be her fault since in the end she can’t do anything. Why should I be considerate to people who can’t do anything right?”

Takahashi-san did have a point. One’s life principle belonged to their own after all.

You should be your first priority. It was a given. Losing a lot even though you already gave it your all, putting your nose to someone else’s problem even though you had your own share of troubles… Stuff like these, being overly considerate to others should be done by saintly people.

My vision was against an extremely sharp gaze. Oo, scary. It was scary but angry Shirakumo-san was far scarier. Wait, she was being totally late, wasn't she? She hadn’t come yet for her shift though?

During our confrontation, Takahashi-san had the corner of her lips raised like she already secured her victory.

Frankly, I couldn’t care less about winning or losing, but of course people who believed in the opposite also existed. People who spent their days inside a cramped cage would long for this type of salvation.

In order to reach that salvation, some efforts were probably necessary but still without any cost. If it was free anyway, of course getting those salvation would be alright.

“Ha, so you can’t answer me? My bad but I need to do another job—”
“Adults are always like that, huh.”
“...haa?”
“Still, holding back and being considerate to others are also the qualities needed as an adult, Takahashi-san.”

This didn’t mean that I despise Takahashi-san, it also didn’t mean that I favour Tateyama-san. I completely had no interest in taking sides, but I still ended up advising Takahashi-san.

For some reason the face of the girl who blew bubbles inside the water while stating her contempts flashed inside my head.

“...who cares.”

Takahashi-san clicked her tongue and went away. While we were at it, I also shared the sentiments as hers.

Adults and kids, correct and wrong, justice and evil. Actually I had a bad compatibility with these things. I always believed that my compatibility was bad, but, what I thought and what I did sure showed a contradiction, huh.


“Hanaseri-san, you…”

From behind, I heard the vice-manager's voice, seemingly surprised.

Tateyama-san, who saw the argument right before her eyes, stood still like a statue.

Since Takahashi-san had gone somewhere and the visitors also had finished their business leaving us alone, the vice-manager stood before Tateyama-san.

“Tateyama-san, can we talk for a bit?”
“S-sure.”
“I know with what just happened I will sound mean, but I want to have a conversation with you. I want to make sure whether you want to continue working here or not, I want to hear the answer directly from your mouth. Ah, but please don’t misunderstand, I know that you are a hard worker and I want you to keep your position.”

I couldn’t help but think that there were some lies mixed in her words. But keep going while also covering those lies was what it meant to be an adult.

Up until now, her times in handling numerous resignations and new beginnings, also solving the troubles concerning us workers was something I couldn’t imagine. With those strong eyes driven by her experiences, she fixed her gaze on Tateyama-san.

“Despite my personal opinion, I also want you to not push yourself…Tateyama-san, you are not a machine after all. I want you to consider your personal circumstances.”

I took a glance at the vice-manager’s face.

Surely, those words were something she wanted to say when she regretted the way she handled Tateyama-san’s matter on that day, the day she asked me. Since she properly said it out loud this time, the vice-manager probably also had a change of heart.

“Please let me continue… I really think that I want to give my best here.”
“Alright. I’m sorry to ask you in the middle of the store, but I think the mood would be too heavy if we took this inside. Still, I’m glad with your choice.”

She smiled so innocently I honestly thought that she was charming. If I were a flower, then undoubtedly the vice-manager would be a pretty flower.

“Since I also gain another reason to make me do my best.”

Tateyama-san looked at me as she smiled. Why me?

“My son finally told me what he did up until now. He already gave the things he stole back to their owners. He also properly apologised.”
“Aah, things you told me before?”
“Yes. I also asked him her thoughts on our family circumstances. Apparently he thought that if he did bad things, he would be able to meet his biological father. But now, he also wanted to properly face his current father. Still, since it was so sudden I also wonder what exactly happened that he changed so quickly. When I asked him, he told me――”

Tateyama-san stopped as she recollected her memories, and then giggled like remembering an absurd memory.

“While he pointed at his swollen cheek, he said “it was an eye opener.””
“...that surely is good news.”
“Yes. Since my son also did his best, I also think that I should move forward now. So I will do my best.”
“Do your best.”

It was a hollow encouragement, but Tateyama-san smiled as she nodded.

Seemingly already grasping the whole situation, the vice-manager patted my shoulders and then went back inside the office.

Having this kind of talk while wearing a Santa costume was ridiculous, I secretly sneered at the situation. Then suddenly, an intimidating Santa came with large strides.

“Hey the heck is this, the skirt is too short?! I ain’t showing my legs for free though?!”

Shirakumo-san shrieked in anger and pointed at her bare legs while also walking closer to the register.

“Nah what are you doing there? You are not serving the customers.”
“Aa? If you have complaints, say it to Santa.”
“Actually I’m also a Santa.”
“Then just let me be, my fellow santa”
“Umm, excuse me. I want to wrap this flower…”
“Welcome!!!! Give me a minute!!!!!!”
“Shut up!”

The customer who requested the wrapping also appeared taken aback by Shirakumo-san’s loud voice. She didn’t betray her past as an aspiring musician.

“Tateyama-san, can I leave the service on you?”
“Aa! You jerk! I will serve the customers! Welcome you lots!!! Just go in!!!!”
“No way. It will only end in disaster.”

Tateyama-san stood on the cashier after she put down her cleaning tools. Her cheerful smile gave a sense of relief, and probably the customers also felt the same.

Right person at the right place, suddenly that phrase popped inside my mind.

Since my shift has ended, I greeted the other staff except the berserker Shirakumo-san and left the hall.

For some reason, my morning shift felt like it happened in a blink despite the event earlier. Somewhere in the corner of my heart, I felt like it would be okay if I kept working a bit longer than my shift due to this lack of fulfilling sensation.

Without knowing the clear reason, I could only guess the reason. Could it be that since today was Christmas eve? But that also didn’t sound right.



When I opened the door effortlessly, I was greeted by the sound from television.

After dusting off the snow from my shoulders, I opened the living room door and there was Sumire playing with her phone while laying down. Since she had no friend, I assume that she watched some videos from her phone. Watching videos while laying around with the television on, she sure had a luxurious life.

Still, this Sumire was a thousand times better than the Sumire who sat on the corner while wrapping her knees with her arms. No need to be considerate with each other. I ended up thinking that this place would no longer be in need of adults at this rate.

“Welcome home~ you come home earlier than usual, eh?”
“We mistakenly burnt all the flowers, you see. Then, people who breathed in the smoke were behaving so oddly which was why I could go home earlier today.”
“I see.”

She rolled around, her skirt was also flipped over.

Sumire wore her uniform most of the time inside the house. During the night of course she changed into her pajamas, but she mainly spent her after-school hours with that appearance. Which was why her uniform was so full of creases.

“Better to iron your uniform.”
“Do it for Sumire, Matsuri.”
“Stop being so spoiled, stop clinging on to me, do it by yourself.”

I kicked Sumire who clung on my leg and she rolled to the corner of the room.

“Ah, I get it now. High schoolers had their winter break starting today, huh?”
“Correct~ high school is the best~”

I took off my coat and hung it. Then, Sumire sounded excited as her eyes sparkled.

“Waa! It’s Santa-san!”

If Sumire was in her uniform, then today I was also in my work uniform. Since I had my coat on during my commute home, I managed to avoid being seen as a strange cosplay girl.

“What do you think, Sumire?”
“What is what?”
“The truth is, there is no Santa.”

I bet she still believed in Santa, didn’t she. Using a dramatic tone, I resumed my talk to Sumire.

“I know that this is a shocking truth for you. But I believe that this is the wall that you should climb in order to overcome it. This is one step to your growth, you should move forward.”
“It’s a given right? Of course Santa-san is an imaginary grandpa. You treat Sumire as a kid too much, Matsuri.”
“.........”

Yup, let’s  just take this thing off.

This wasn’t the result I expected from the truth revealing event I had been expecting. Hence, wearing these clothes was also meaningless.

“This clothes really had nothing good on it other than easy to take off, huh.”
“Sumire thinks it is cute, though.”
“The clothes? Or me?”

What happened to me suddenly. Perhaps I got on my high horse after getting complimented by the vice manager earlier. She said that I was pretty and popular, surely I perceived them in a positive light.

“T-that’s…”

Sumire looked lost for words, she no longer paid attention to the phone on her hand.

“B-both.”

She mumbled unclearly, I couldn’t really catch what she said. Since I also couldn’t really feel her genuineness, I didn’t completely accept her words.

When I already took off the costume and walked around inside the room with only my underwear, Sumire suddenly said, “Your underwear is also cute.” What are you, peeping tom?

“Do you put it on to match your Santa costume?”
“As if.”

Underwear were things you put on based on your daily random drawing that you took from the drawer. 

Since I had no plans outside for the rest of the day, I put on my sweatshirt and sat on the chair. Today sure was cold, so I prepared hot water to make tea.

“Punching people is a bad idea.”

Along with the sound of boiling kettle, Sumire spoke to me.

“Stuff that we talked about yesterday?”
“Yup.”

Yesterday, Sumire gawked at me sharply when she got home. When I wondered about the reason, apparently Sumire punched her classmate mercilessly. Since I was the one who gave her the idea, she pouted and told me that she had it terrible after she punched him. Thus she was being extremely sulky at me. Honestly I thought that the one who had it terrible was her classmate though.


“A person’s face is unexpectedly hard.”
“Stop saying scary things.”
“Because that’s the truth. Sumire also gets hurt when punching a person.”

Sumire who said that was staring at her hand.

“Which is why, punching people is not good.”
“Is that so? Well, I still think it’s a good thing to do.”
“I said that it’s not good.”
“But you see, if later you meet someone so annoying you want to beat them, you will remember about that pain, no? That would be much better than cowards who know no pain but talk big.”

Once I brewed the tea, a rich scent filled the air inside the room.

“Do you want to drink too?”
“Please.”

I took Sumire’s cup and poured the tea on it.

“Do you know about it, Matsuri? That punching people hurts.”
“Ha? Of course not.”

Hearing my simple refusal, Sumire widened her eyes like a puppy.

“Eh, but you said it like you knew all about stuff.”
“Nah, I just said whatever I want. Actually, people who punch their classmates are dangerous, don't you think? Scary.”
“Matsuri!”

Hahaha, when I laughed Sumire launched her attack on me. We had a light scuffle and ended up falling on the bed with her pushing me down.

“I won’t believe you again, Matsuri!”

Seeing her reddened face on top of me, it seemed like she was truly pissed this time.

“Sumire, if you let blood rush to your head like this often, the blood will pool on your skull and the weight could worsen your ability to think. According to the television, recently such cases are often found in young people, so you should take care.”
“Eh, really…?”
“Nah, lie.”
“Matsuri!”

Back then she said that it was getting easier to see through my lies, it seemed like she had a long way to go.

“But you get your pen case back, no?”
“That’s…yeah. He also apologised.”

Sumire’s dullness that made her not realise her own bullying might be a talent. Perhaps, she was too pure and the type that easily flowed with the current. Since she had this wild side of punching people, saying that she was kind might be a bit different.

“I wonder if dad felt the same…”
“Who knows, we don’t know his circumstances anyway.”

We couldn’t perceive what people were thinking inside their heads. He could have a short fuse as his natural personality, or it would be also possible that he might be trapped in an unavoidable situation. For example, he did that for the sake of protecting others. Since no one other than her dad knew the truth, thinking about the reason might be useless.

Since drinking tea didn’t satiate my thirst, I opened my fridge and took a can of beer.

“Is that alcohol? I think you better not.”
“Stop saying stuff like my wife.”
“Because, when you are drunk, you are kind of…”
“Kind of what.”

Why would this girl and vice-manager try to hide the truth of my drunkness? Could it be that when I drank alcohol, tentacles grew from my pores? Of course not, right?

Sumire relentlessly moved around her gaze. Sounding embarrassed, she started to open her mouth.

“Matsuri, when you are drunk, you become extremely spoiled.”
“...ha?”
“You were amazing back then. We couldn’t take you off from the vice-manager, and once we managed to, you turned to Sumire and held Sumire tightly.”
“No, no, no way. Spoiled? Me?”

Nod nod, Sumire nodded.

Hahaan, you want to get back at me by lying, huh? Naive! That obvious lie won’t work on me.”
“I, I’m not lying.”

I would never trust the defendant's gibberish.

Due to the sense of freedom since I could go home earlier than usual, also since today was Christmas eve, I felt so elated that I gulped the beer in one go.

I had no clear recollection after that.

It wasn’t like I was completely intoxicated. In the first place, I wasn’t that weak toward alcohol that I would get wasted just by a can of shochu highball.

“Sumire~~”
“Uu…I gan’t breadth…”

Which was why, I probably fell asleep midway and dreamt. These memories that filled my head were so odd after all, yup absolutely.

“Why would you have these pretty legs despite being an elementary schooler~~”
“I’m not an elementary schooler though?! Where are you touching me?!”

Somehow I was reminded of the vice-manager's words, that stuff about being happy when someone was waiting for us to come home.

I always spent my Christmas alone. I knew that this time I spent with Sumire wasn’t a bittersweet night or the night so special that people would admire it, nonetheless—

―indeed, tonight was different from my usual holy nights.

It wasn’t fun, this also wasn't happiness. Saying this as a form of blessing would be far more misleading. This moment where I felt floating in my slumber, which didn’t move me anywhere.

Rather than alone, this was much better.

Was what I thought, as my consciousness drifted away.


***





Click here for the novel's info.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Onna Doushi to ka Arienai deshou to Iiharu Onna no ko wo, Hyakunichi kan de Tetteiteki ni Otosu Yuri no Ohanashi

Prologue